Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The End

Those two little words can bring so much joy and so much angst to a writer. Why, you ask?

Joy comes from finishing a manuscript that has taken months to write. And then comes angst. It builds within minutes of writing "The End," because the writer knows she must now begin the editing process. And then comes the dreaded submission process. This is the time you must send your little baby out to the publishing world and wait for them to decide if you have a priceless gem or a worthless rock. Okay, maybe that was a bit harsh, but you get my meaning.

For me, editing my story causes more stress than sending out queries. Editing is what makes a good book great. It's kindling for a building fire. I love it and I hate it. What can I say--I'm a contrary person.

Last night, I wrote those two little words at the end of my manuscript. And tonight, I start back at page one and begin turning a pumpkin into a gilded carriage. I am ever optimistic.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

squiresj said...

I hope that you have good speed in editing and that your book turns out to be a great read. I love reading and have found some good authors I knew nothing about this past year with my internet.

Tracey Devlyn said...

Thank you, squiresj! Please be sure to check back often to see how my writing process goes.